1st Theater Sustainment Command

Our Story


Throughout our history, one motto has united our Soldiers, reflecting the speed and efficiency with which we carry out our mission – “First Team!”

 

Our lineage goes back to the 1st Logistical Command, activated as a planning headquarters in October 1950 at Fort McPherson, Georgia.

 

During the Berlin crisis of 1951, the new unit deployed to France to organize the base logistics command, which was responsible for the supervision of seven depots and area port operations in western and southwestern France.

 

On August 11, 1962, the 1st Logistical Command returned to the United States where it was reassigned to III corps at Fort Hood, Texas.

 

Once at Fort Hood, the 1st Logistical Command resumed its training and participated in a wide range of logistical missions.            

Our Insignia


The patch worn by 1st TSC Soldiers today was first approved by the quartermaster general in May 1952 and adopted as our insignia in April 1968.
 

The white arrow on the patch points to what would be 10:30 on a clock, signifying that the mission is always accomplished before the eleventh hour.

 
                       

 

On April 1, 1965, the unit deployed to Vietnam to serve as the logistics command headquarters for all units in the conflict. The mission included provision and management of maintenance, supply and transportation.

 

During the five-year tour, the command’s ranks swelled to 50,000 to include three area support commands, numerous brigades and group-sized units.

 

Two soldiers assigned to 1st Logistical Command distinguished themselves by receiving the Medal of Honor: Sergeant William W. Seay and Specialist Fourth Class Larry G. Dahl

 

With five meritorious unit commendations for its exceptional performance, the 1st Logistical Command redeployed to Fort Lee, Virginia and was re-designated the 1st Field Army Support Command on December 7, 1970.

 

On June 22, 1972, the command was re-designated the 1st Corps Support Command (COSCOM) and reassigned to XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.            

 

From 1972 until 2006, COSCOM deployed multiple times in support of disaster relief missions as well as the following operations:

 
  • Urgent Fury (1983)
  • Just Cause (1989)
  • Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990)
  • Restore Hope (1993)
  • Uphold Democracy (1994)
  • Provide Refuge (1999)

 

On April 16, 2006, COSCOM was re-designated as the 1st Sustainment Command (Theater) and reassigned to Third Army, U.S. Army Central Command.

 

Since 2006, the 1st TSC has been perpetually deployed to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility where we conduct sustainment operations to ensure warfighters have the supplies and transportation capabilities they need to accomplish their missions.

 


Blackjack


The tradition of the mule as an Army mascot began in 1899 when an officer at the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot decided the service needed a counterpart to the Navy goat for the 1899 rivalry game.
 

In the early 1970s, the 1st Corps Support Command (COSCOM) adopted a mule as its mascot to carry on this tradition. Today, Blackjack continues to be the beloved mascot of 1st TSC Soldiers, Civilians, and Families and a prominent guest at many command functions.
 

The first live-animal mascot, Staff Sergeant John Blackjack, was donated to the command in May 1983 by a retired Air Force officer, Colonel Robert O. Wray and his wife, Roseanne. After 32 years of service to his country, he passed away on May 31, 2015.
 

Corporal Jack “Huck” Blackjack, then a private first class pony mule from Ronda, N.C., became the new mascot. Blackjack is a fitting symbol of the 1st TSC’s can-do spirit and Army toughness.